Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cookie Baking Weather

So I said this blog would include some tasty recipes. I won't disappoint in that department....

Oatmeal Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks room temp. butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 extra large eggs, also room temp. (This is a secret. This is why cookies are good. If you use cold eggs, you just defeated the purpose of creaming together the butter and the sugar. In cooks terms, this tip is worth at least $20. If you see me, and you made these cookies, fork over the moola because I'm sure you reaped the benefits of this tid-bit.)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Pre-heat the oven to 375.
Cream the first 8 ingredients together. Make sure to really, really get it soft and light colored. Whipped up into a deliciously smooth consistency. Makes a HUGE difference in the dense-ness of the cookie. You will have to scrape the bowl down occasionally. I know, use your guns. Then add in one egg at a time, along with the vanilla. *Make sure you stop and take a good whiff of everything you just combined in the bowl.* (You will be happy you did.)
Then add in the oatmeal and flour about a 1/2 cup at a time. Don't over-mix. Never over-mix. Sad news bears when you over-mix a cookie dough recipe. You will get hard cookies. I promise. I've found out the hard way.
Once everything is combined, stir in the goodies. My friend really likes butterscotch chips, so I added some of those. But you can add whatever you want. I think cinnamon chips would have been good in these too.
Drop by regular spoonful onto a cookie sheet and bake around 10-12 mins. I would keep a close eye on them. My first batch, according to my friend, were a little on the 'done' side. I stuck out my tongue to that. Whatever, they tasted good to me. I turn my pans in the oven half-way through. I think it helps bake the cookies more evenly. *I know, sounds annoying, but it works. I promise.*

Then, once they are done and cooled, stuff your face. Eat a lot of them. They are good. Really, really good.

So, enjoy this wonderful little fall-weather recipe. My roommate had a tummy-ache, so I brought one of these in to her room when it was still warm, and she felt better. So these cookies inadvertently cure tummy-aches. Awesome. Make them. You will be happier after you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment