Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Biking


Oh my gosh, I’m a terrible biker. I feel like I may have discussed this before, but it needs to emphasized. However, the fact that I’m a terrible biker just makes me laugh, because currently, I’m commuting to work… on my bicycle…

I mean, it is a great source of physical activity! Without meaning to, you get an extra workout in for the day. Especially when you live in Duluth and work down by the lake, yet live on a hill far, far away from the lake. The bike ride home will be one full of agony, hills, maybe some tears when you fall over trying to balance yourself on the bike at a major intersection with lots of cars, and sweat. BOOYAH, extra workout. And then that beer I have for dinner will just balance everything out nicely…

I haven’t gotten honked at yet, that is probably a good thing.

And biking just makes me happy. Zooming down these hills helps me appreciate my body in an entirely different way then running. I passed a few cars going down Woodland Ave this morning. I do not care how fast you are, you cannot do that while running. I just kept thinking about my lungs and my legs too. They work. I can push the limits of my physical strength pretty far.

So, what if I couldn’t bike anymore? What if I couldn’t run anymore? What if my physical strength and ability were gone?

That is what I thought about when I got to work today. WHOA. DEEP THOUGHT.

I grew up with a sister who did not have the physical strength to do many things. And it boggles my mind how I can still be so selfish and unappreciative of the gifts God has given me sometimes. My legs and my lungs are amazing gifts.

I cannot forget that.

Maybe that is why I go for a run in the morning when I’m half asleep and I bike to work even though I stink at it. At least I am using these gifts of mine.

Go do something active, and try to smile when you’re doing it.

People will think you are up to something 


1 comment:

  1. I like this one! Just make sure you fix your brakes before you zoom past too many more cars :)

    ReplyDelete